The RC building is designed to incorporate the MKER-1000 reactor itself as well as the process systems providing for its safe operation, safety systems, nuclear fuel storage and transport systems, and ventillation and specialized water treatment systems.
The RC central part is formed by a double cylindrical tight shielding (containment) with a domical covering. The inner containment wall (R=27,75 м) fulfils the function of a tight barrier preventing the release of radioactive substanses into the atmosphere, and it is designed to stand the maximum inner overpressure (0,25 МPa). The outer reinforced-concrete wall ensures protection against external impacts. The clearance (~ 1,5 м) between the two walls is used for monitoring the containment integrity during operation.
The structures of the rooms and compartments located within the inner containment walls (reactor cavity, drum-type steam separator compartments, circulation circuit pipework vaults) are not constructionally connected with the containment, and their floor – being at the same time their foundation – is located at the level of 0,000 м.
In order to exclude interference, the so called “hot” compartment structures are separated from the “cold” compartments by isolation joints and clearances.
A passive thermal insulation is considered in the design to be implemented on the inner surface of the “hot” compartments. It is made of sewed-in mats based on a basaltic superfine fibre 300 мм thick. The insulation is protected with a metallic coating.
The following NPP parts are located under the inner containment wall: the MKER-1000 reactor unit, steam separators, natural circulation circuit pipework, blowdown and cooldown system (BCS) actuators, control and protection system (CPS), fuel cladding failure detection (FCFD), FC integrity monitoring (FCIM) and other reactor backup systems, on-line fresh & spent nuclear fuel handling systems, parts of protective and localization safety systems, and containment ventillation system drawoffs.
The many-storeyed rigging around the containment houses the fresh & spent nuclear fuel storage facilities, normal operation process systems, and inlet and outlet ventillation systems.
The RC ground & basement part houses some elements of the Localizing Safety System (LSS) as well as rooms and compartments for solid radwaste collection and trap water collection and transmission.
The control and safety systems (C&SS) building is immediately adjacent to the RC building as viewed from the turbine hall. From the viewpoint of volume, layout and design, it is divided into three independent compartments. The middle compartment houses the systems for operation control of the unit process complexes (MCR, computer aids and Automated Process Control System), while the extreme ones contain the systems ensuring the plant safety. The adopted layout solution based on a spatial «separation» of the safety system trains makes it possible to minimize damage from aircraft crashes. Also, transit pipeline coridors are considered in the design to provide for process interfaces between the RC and the TH and DS buildings.
The turbine hall and deaerator stack building
is made up of two parts:— the many-storeyed one where the deaerator enclosures, condensate demineralizer (CDM) filtering complex, feedwater pumping station, pipework corridors, and ventillation centers are located;
— the large-span one where the turbogenerator is located, including service water pumps and boiler enclosures of the heat supply network closed cooling water circuit. The main turbogenerator equipment is placed in the closure located under the working elevation (16,200 м) of the turbine hall.
Adjacent to the longitudinal turbine hall façade is an annex housing the turbogenerator oil service equipment.
The electrotechnical equipment building
is formed by a three-span (3х7,2 м) many-storeyed structure adjacent to the DS, where the auxiliaries power supply systems are located.
The independent sources of AC (emegency diesels) and DC (batteries) power supply to the safety trains are placed outside the main building and located on the industrial site territory.